Power is only the beginning
At Mercedes-Benz, we’re not interested in building cars that are merely powerful or fast. Instead, we choose to engineer automobiles that combine the many facets of performance to create something extraordinary: sensations that can’t be expressed in horsepower and torque.
Because to us, cars aren’t just machines. And what they make us feel can’t be measured.
Engines: Beneath the hood beats the heart behind the soul.
Ever since Carl Benz introduced the Patent Motorwagen in 1886, the engine has provided the spark for automotive performance–and for the automobile itself.
Today, that spark takes many forms at Mercedes-Benz, from sporty four cylinders and powerful V-8s, to economic clean diesels and advanced hybrids. Every one of them engineered for exceptional power, responsiveness and efficiency.
Transmissions: The true measure of power is in its delivery.
Since their job is to transfer power from the engine to the wheels, transmissions play a pivotal role in any vehicle’s performance. Mercedes-Benz transmissions are particularly adept at harnessing output so that it can be delivered quickly, smoothly and efficiently when called upon.
- 7-Speed Automatic: Now with shift paddles standard, the industry’s first 7-speed automatic transmission has been re-engineered for even more fluid, efficient and responsive performance.
- 5-Speed Automatic: Designed specifically to handle the massive torque of a Mercedes-Benz V-12 engine, our acclaimed 5-speed automatic adapts to individual driving style and also offers paddle shifting.
- 6-Speed Short-Throw Manual: Delivering quick, decisive gear changes and the pure, sports-car feel, our short-throw 6-speed manual comes standard on the SLK 250 Roadster.
Traction: Engineered to grab you, not to mention the road.
Our vehicles are designed to distribute weight so they both hold the road and deliver a rewarding surge during acceleration. They’re also equipped with Electronic Stability Program (ESP®), a traction-control system we unveiled in 1995 that has become an industry standard.
Then there’s our legendary 4MATIC® all-wheel drive technology, which continually redistributes power to the wheels with the best grip–even if it’s only one of them. Available or standard in no less than 21 vehicles across ten of our model families, 4MATIC® offers additional confidence and control, whether you’re on-road or off.
Suspensions: So advanced, they can make adjustments on the fly.
At Mercedes-Benz, we believe a responsive ride and a comfortable one aren’t mutually exclusive. So we engineer suspensions that adapt not merely to the road surface, but also to driving style — delivering the right balance of athleticism and composure based on the situation.
- Agility Control: Each shock absorber instantly recalibrates in response to vehicle movements and changes in the road surface — firming or softening response as needed. Available for the C, E, GLC, and GLE.
- AIRMATIC®: Electronically controlled air springs adjust to changing input from road, vehicle and driver – even lowering and raising ride height to suit driving conditions. Available for S, CLS, and GLS.
- Active Body Control (ABC®): A network of sensors and hydraulics counteracts the effects of roll, vibration, pitch, dive and squat during cornering, braking and acceleration. Available for SL.
Brakes: Sometimes, it’s about how fast you can go from sixty to zero.
While acceleration may get all the attention, deceleration is just as important in the performance equation–and often, even more so. That’s why the Mercedes-Benz adaptive braking system includes a range of technologies designed for not only quick, but precise, stopping.
- Anti-lock Braking System: Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz in 1978, ABS can pump the brakes up to 30 times per second so steering control can be maintained during heavy braking.
- Brake Assist System: By monitoring how you apply the brakes, BAS® can deliver full stopping power almost instantly if it senses emergency braking.
- Predictive Brake Priming: If you take your foot off the accelerator quickly, the brake pads move closer to the discs for a more immediate response when you apply the brakes.
- Automatic Brake Drying: In the rain, the brakes are applied imperceptibly at regular intervals to sweep water away from the discs.
AMG®: Hand-built engines. Handcrafted performance.
Founded in 1967 by two automotive engineers, AMG® began as a “tuning” shop that transformed Mercedes-Benz vehicles into race-winning beasts. Today, as the high-performance division of Mercedes-Benz, it plays a central role in our racing program and provides safety cars for the Formula 1 World Championship.
But even more importantly, Mercedes-AMG® continues to create some of the most sought-after cars on the planet, each with an engine hand-built from start to finish by one of 45 Master Technicians. Beyond the exquisite craftsmanship, AMG® vehicles deliver the kind of performance that makes your hair stand on end — no matter if you’re on the daily commute or on the racetrack.